Sunday, March 16, 2008

Busy, busy

Sometimes a guy just gets tuckered out. Watching a Sunday football game, after a turkey dinner, watching home renovation shows on the T.V. for three straight hours, and riding in the car. Just put me in the old car seat, put the transmission in drive and within five minutes, I'm out. OK, sometimes 10 minutes, but without fail I am soon counting sheep.

Seems there are always errands to be run and before long, I find myself strapped in like an unwitting astronaut off on another journey. Strapped down, we are soon zooming off to points as yet unknown. And more likely than not, within that five minute window I'll be drooling, head slumped to one side like an overripe tomato on a spindly vine sleeping as though I've pulled an all-nighter before a calculus exam.

Soon enough I'll be waking back in my own drive none worse for the wear, although my shirt collar will invariably be soaked and my chin glistening with slobber. Again, I'll be blissfully unaware of the details of another outing. We could have gone 10 miles, we could have gone 10,000, and I am none the wiser. For all I know they drove me around the block until I fell asleep just so I'd take a nap. They'd never do anything like that ... would they?

- Fox out.

No comments: